- Rebooting Basics
- Tools for Change
- Porn FAQs
- ED & Porn
- ? Studies
Is my erectile dysfunction (ED) related to my porn use?
Submitted by Administrator on Wed, 07/06/2011 - 13:04
"It's hard to know exactly how many young men are suffering from porn-induced ED. But it's clear that this is a new phenomenon, and it's not rare." (link)
- Dr. Abraham Morgentaler, Director of Men’s Health Boston and Clinical Professor of Urology at Harvard Medical School
If you have a porn-induced erectile dysfunction (PIED), the problem is not in your penis - it's in your brain. First step is to watch these videos:
- Porn-induced Erectile Dysfunction (2014)
- Porn-Induced ED Reboot Advice Vlog: Gabe Deem: 13 minute video by a young man who recovered from severe porn-induced ED
- A story of porn addiction and recovery (18-minute video by a young man who recovered from severe porn-induced ED)
- The Basics Of Rebooting, by Gabe deem
- Adolescent Brain Meets High-speed Internet Porn (very applicable to young men with porn-induced ED or porn-induced fetishes)
Next, you need to read Rebooting Basics. Everyone wants to know How long will it take? Also read "HELP!" to prepare for the "flatline." See Rebooting Advice & Observations for pages of tips, advice, and motivation from those who have successfully recovered. If needed, here are useful tips for long rebooters.
For ED recovery stories, scroll down to Porn-Induced ED Recovery Stories. For longer more detailed stories of ED recovery see rebooting accounts. Read about the growing numbers of experts recognizing and treating porn-induced ED, and recent studies on young men reporting a 600% or more rise in ED rates.
Finally, if you still have questions:
- look below,
- see the Porn FAQ's page, or
- read Gabe Deem answers common questions about PIED recovery.
Everything we know about PIED is on this page. Always keep in mind that every aspect of porn-induced ED is on a spectrum. You must judge what's right for you based on your history and current symptoms. Be flexible in your approach.
- Please do not ask YBOP admins questions specific to your situation. YBOP does not diagnose or provide medical or sexual advice. YBOP strongly suggests you see a competent medical professional to rule out psychological issues, dietary deficiencies, hormonal imbalances, or other organic causes.
- If your doctor confirms that you do not have an organic (below the belt) issue, and tells you that you are suffering from "performance anxiety," read this: What Experts Tell Guys Suffering From PIED
- START HERE: Porn-Induced Sexual Dysfunction
- Porn-Induced ED in the Media: Experts who recognize PIED
- Research confirms enormous rise in youthful ED
- How long will it take to recover from Porn-Induced Sexual Dysfunction?
- HELP! I quit porn, but my potency, genital size, and/or libido are decreasing (Flatline)
- How do I know if my ED is porn-related? (TEST)
- Started on Internet porn and my recovery from porn-induced ED is taking too long
- Radio Show: The basics of Porn-induced, by Gary Wilson
- Radio Show: 2 Interviews with Gabe Deem. PIED, 9 months for sex (15 months to recover).
- Radio Show: Young Psychiatrist Discusses His Porn-induced ED
- Video - Urologist Andrew Kramer discusses ED (including porn-induced ED)
- Medical doctors who are rebooting (or have rebooted).
- Video by MD - Causes of ED in young men (includes porn)
- Video: Porn-induced ED and recovery (Noah B.E. Church at The Mystery Box Show)
- Porn-induced ED: Empirical Evidence
- What Experts Tell Guys Suffering From PIED (the good & the bad)
Commonly Asked Questions
- Gabe Deem answers common questions about PIED recovery
- (Video) PORN MYTHS - The Truth Behind Addiction And Sexual Dysfunctions, by Gabe Deem
- Any suggestions for healing delayed ejaculation (DE) or anorgasmia?
- Any connection between orgasm, abstinence, and testosterone levels?
- Is my premature ejaculation (PE) related to my porn use?
- Do I have to have sex in order to rewire?
- What about 'sexual exhaustion?' as a cause of PIED
- What part does anxiety play in ED?
- Unusual masturbation techniques causing problems?
- What about "Venous Leak"
- If I have ED, don't I need to "use it or lose it?"
- What about ED drugs (Viagra, Cialis) and porn-induced ED?
- What if I masturbate (edge) or watch porn without orgasm?
- What stimuli must I avoid during my reboot (did I relapse)?
- Beware the "Does my penis still work?" cycle. It's a trap.
- Will a relapse set me back?
- What about semen leakage?
- Men: Does Frequent Ejaculation Cause A Hangover? (article)
Rebooting With a Partner
- Rebooting with a partner: What about sex?
- What do I say to my mate?
- Porn-induced ED: What do I tell my girlfriend?
YBOP Blog Posts on Porn-Induced ED
Articles About Masturbation
- Rethinking the Wonders of Adult Masturbation (our latest & most comprehensive)
- Masturbation, Fantasy and Captivity
- WEIRD Masturbation Habits
- The Right Masturbation Advice
- Are You Exiting the Gene Pool Due to Low Sperm Count or ED?
Basic Physiological Research
Studies: Increasing Rates of Sexual Problems
Porn-Induced ED in the Media: Primarily Experts
- Study: Neural Correlates of Sexual Cue Reactivity in Individuals with and without Compulsive Sexual Behaviours (2014)
- Study: Brain Structure and Functional Connectivity Associated With Pornography Consumption: The Brain on Porn (2014)
- Studies: PDF of a lecture by Carlo Foresta, urology professor (2014)
- Too Much Internet Porn May Cause Impotence. Urology Professor, Carlo Foresta (2011)
- The Dr. Oz Show addresses Porn-induced ED (2013)
- Internet Porn and Erectile Dysfunction, by Urologist James Elist, F.A.C.S., F.I.C.S.(2013)
- YBOP review of "The New Naked" by urologist Harry Fisch, MD (2014)
- Psychiatrist Norman Doidge on Pornography & ED: Chapter 4 from "The Brain That Changes Itself" (2007)
- 'Generation X-Rated' (Porn-Induced ED) - Urologist Abraham Morgentaler (2014)
- LIVE BLOG: Porn-induced erectile dysfunction (Dr. Abraham Morgentaler, Gabe Deem)(2014)
- Pornography & Erectile Dysfunction, by Lawrence A. Smiley M.D.(2013)
- Looking at porn on the internet could ruin your sex life, doctor says. Harry Fisch, MD (2014)
- Behind the documentary: Porn-Induced Erectile Dysfunction, by Global News Canada (2014)
- Watching porn can cause male sexual dysfunction. Urologists David B. Samadi & Muhammed Mirza (2014)
- Solutions for porn-induced erectile dysfunction, by Sudeepta Varma, MD, Psychiatry (2013)
- Porn-induced erectile dysfunction in healthy young men, Andrew Doan MD, PhD
- Too Much Porn Contributing to ED: Urologist Fawad Zafar (2014)
- Online Videos Causing IRL Erectile Problems? by Andrew Smiler PhD (2014)
- Catastrophic effects of adolescent porn addiction (2014) Wrishi Raphael, MD
- Dr. Rosalyn Dischiavo on porn-induced ED (2013)
- Do You Masturbate Too Much? Urologist Tobias Köhler, Therapist Dan Drake (2014)
- How Online Sexual Stimulation Can Lead to In Real Life Sexual Dysfunction, by Jed Diamond PhD (2014)
- Men who watch too much porn can't get it up, warns Manchester sex therapist (2014)
- Video by MD: Causes of ED in young men (includes porn)
- Is Porn Destroying Your Sex Life? By Robert Weiss LCSW, CSAT-S (2013)
- Why A Sex Therapist Worries About Teens Viewing Internet Porn, by Dr. Aline Zoldbrod (2013)
- Seven Sharp with Caroline Cranshaw - The damage caused by internet porn addiction
- Reality is not enough exciting (Swedish), Psychiatrist Goran Sedvallson. urologist Stefan Arver, psychotherapist Inger Björklund
- Porning too much? by Robert Taibbi, L.C.S.W.(2012)
- Too Much Internet Porn: The SADD Effect, by Ian Kerner PhD.(2013)
- Why porn and masturbation can be too much of a good thing, Dr. Elizabeth Waterman (2013)
- Chris Kraft, Ph.D. - Johns Hopkins sexologist discusses porn-induced sexual dysfunctions
- Need porn diet for three to five months to get an erection again, Alexandra Katehakis MFT, CSAT-S (2013)
- Erectile dysfunction increases among young men, sex therapist Brandy Engler, PhD
- Does Porn Contribute to ED? by Tyger Latham, Psy.D. in Therapy Matters (2012)
- What causes erectile dysfunction?, Dr. Lohit K, M.D (2014)
- Just Can't Get It Up: ZDoggMD.com (2013)
- Time-out cures man of Internet porn addiction & ED: CBS video, Dr. Elaine Brady (2013)
- Porn causing erectile dysfunction in young men (Global News Canada) (2014)
- Is “Normal” Porn Watching Affecting Your Manhood? by sexologist Maryline Décarie, M.A. (2013)
- Dan Savage answers question about porn-induced ED (12-2013)
- Urologist: Pornography can cause erectile dysfunction for young men (2012)
- Erection problems from too much porn - Swedish (2013)
- Suffering from ED? This Reason May Surprise You, by Michael S Kaplan, MD (2014)
- 'Porn' makes men hopeless in bed: Dr Deepak Jumani, Sexologist Dhananjay Gambhire (2013)
- Internet porn wrecking conjugal ties in India (Porn-induced ED), Dr. Narayana Reddy (2013)
- Pornography was the only one who got Donald aroused: Swedish (2013)
- Director of Middlebury College Health Center, Dr. Mark Peluso, sees rise in ED: blames porn (2012)
- Sexual Dysfunction: The Escalating Price of Abusing Porn (2012)
- "Addicted to Viagra: They should be at their most virile, but a growing number of young men can’t cope without those little blue pills" (2012)
- Is porn addiction on the rise in Bangalore? (2014)
- Porn Addiction, Porn Creep and Erectile Dysfunction By Billi Caine, B.Sc Psych, RN (2015)
- Is Porn Erectile Dysfunction Fact or Fiction? by Kurt Smith, LMFT, LPCC, AFC (2015)
- Hardcore corruption of the human hard disk (2012)
- He’s Just Not That Into Anyone, By Davy Rothbart (2011)
- Did porn warp me forever? Salon.com (2013)
- Has Porn Ruined Our Sex Lives Forever? The Daily Dose. (2014)
- The Young Turks discuss porn-induced ED (2011)
- How porn is destroying modern sex lives: Feminist writer Naomi Wolf has an unsettling explanation for why Britons are having less sex (2013)