The 14-step program from NoFap.
2014-step program from NoFap.
1. There will come a time where you will want to edge. Don’t.
2. If you think it’s easy, you’re either doing it wrong, or you’re in the wrong neighbourhood. Don’t let anyone fool you – this shit is hard.
3. Don’t listen to yourself when you rationalize things. If there’s one thing I’ve learnt, it’s that your brain is a two-timing bastard, and it will do anything to get its fix.
4. The long nights and early mornings will be hard. Drill that into your head. But if you can get through one minute, you can get through the next. Look. You’re doing it right now!
5. Gum. I don’t know why, but it helps. Overload your senses with other things – smells, sights, sounds – anything that isn’t erotic. Drown out your subconscious. Put that little voice out. Squish it with your willpower.
6. Your experience will be so different. You’ve probably heard it so many times from so many people, but it’s true. It’s not cliché. You are so unique, so you, that there are millions of variables out there to make your time trying Nofap completely dissimilar to anyone else. Take advantage of that; embrace it. Share your stories with others.
7. Pick something that makes you happy, and immerse yourself in it. Drawing, sports, kicking over rubbish bins at the mall; whatever, man. I’m not judging. Some other people might be, but I – and the whole of the NoFap community – are here to help. I promise.
8. “But what if—” No. ‘What if’ is your enemy here, and you should hate it with a passion. What if I just edge? What if I just look at porn? What if? What if? Repeat the syllables in your head and listen to the ugly sound it makes. Do it. Seriously.
9. There will be bad days. There will be relapses. There will be times when you want to punch a hole through a wall. Don’t. Use that vehemence to do one-hundred push-ups. Go for more, if you can. Just don’t hurt the wall. It’ll be expensive to get fixed.
10. Carry around a pen and notebook wherever you go. Whenever you feel an urge, crank up your music so loud that your feelings pool at the tips of your fingers and draw what’s making your heart clench. Do that for hours on end. Don’t stop until you’re exhausted.
11. When you feel like you’ve accomplished all you’ve come for, step back for a moment. How do you feel? If you’re truly content, there is absolutely nothing and nobody stopping you from walking away from the community. Remember that, and feel special for being able to cross the Nofap Challenge off of your bucket list. If you’ve beaten your addiction, cross that off too. You’ve a lot to brag about.
12. A relapse does not wipe all of your progress. Do not confuse yourself with the complexities of what constitutes for a reset and what doesn’t. Try your hardest, and don’t lie to yourself. It’s as simple as that.
13. Days will come when you are hurting. Accept it graciously. A little pain lets you know you’re alive, after all.
14. Don’t distract yourself from your lustful thoughts. That shoves them deeper, into the nooks and crannies of your subconscious dedicated to those tantalizing taboo thoughts. Porn is not taboo nowadays. Neither is fapping. They’re just holding you back from your potential. Realize this, and let the temptations become diluted with reality. Just don’t push the thoughts away. Acknowledge them, first.
And then hit them out of the ballpark with a stainless-steel bat.