Common lies your brain will tell you when you want to PMO.
When I first started my crusade in January, I was super-set on quitting PMO forever. However, as a day or two would pass, my brain would rationalize and negotiate so I could PMO "just one more time", etc. Unable to recognize these signs of weakness, I relapsed again and again until I realized that it was all phony rationalization.
I'd like to compile a list of excuses our brains make in order to feed our addiction. By reading these and realizing that it's not "negotiating" but in fact BS created by our addiction-addled minds, we can find strength and comfort and hopefully reaffirmation. Here are a few of my common negotiations I feel for. (13 days is the longest I've gone without PMO in my life, age 21 now and started at age 14. I plan to continue and I'm damn proud of myself.)
- "I used to look at XXX-extreme porn. I'll dial it down every time until I'm at vanilla sex, then quitting will be easier." (You know this is BS. Whatever you're watching will not be enough, and you'll go right back to whatever you're trying to avoid)
- "I'll start tomorrow" (this is the most common one I faced)
- "Tonight will be my last night. I'll cum extra hard and say goodbye to fapping forever!" (How many time have I said this?)
- "Tonight I looked at XXX-extreme porn that was SO WEIRD! I don't want my last night of fapping to be remembered as something so nasty!" (If it'll gross you out of PMOing again, maybe it's not a bad idea)
- "What's the point? I can't imagine myself not PMOing for the rest of my whole life." (This is a major one that you as a fapstronaut have to come to terms with. How bad do you want to get better? When is enough, enough? As time goes on, not only do your urges and intensity subside, but you realize the ridiculousness of your addiction.)
- "I'll quit when I have a girlfriend. I can't quit while I'm single" (The sad truth is you won't be able to perform for your girlfriend, ruining another relationship. Might as well start now, right? As you probably have heard, sticking with this program also makes you more motivated to actually get a girlfriend.)
- "I feel like PMO is the only way to destress with -x- problem." (The idea of this program is to rewire your brain to not escape your problems by beating off. Write down your excuse or declare it out loud. Hearing the words come out of your mouth, does PMO have any logical connection your problem? Will it help at all?)
The most important piece of advice is:YOU CAN QUIT ANY TIME. NOW IS THE BEST TIME. START NOW. YOU WILL SAY THE SAME BS TOMORROW. HAVE FAITH IN THE PROGRAM.
If you get the urge, and you will, fucking run away, do something else. Take a jog. Realize the trap you're stepping into.
Add your own excuses. Godspeed.