This is a post by a man who suffered porn-induced ED
Here's what I found when I looked on the Internet after my erections became strong and frequent:
- Most healthy men often wake up in the morning with an erection. "Morning wood" and "Morning tent" are slang terms for this. Men have several erections a night as part of their sleep cycle. Many times they wake up and find they are still erect.
This sounds good. That healthy part. I guess I had not realized just how my addiction had affected me. This wasn't happening to me very often if at all. Now it is.That would explain the sleep being interrupted every night several times a night. I think I am a little beyond healthy, because my erections wake me up and It takes me a while to calm my body down. Urges and cravings are way up when I wake.
- A man's penis becomes erect in response to sexual arousal and excitement, but it can also become erect as a result of deep relaxation, such as that experienced in deep sleep called REM (rapid eye movement) -- a period of sleep during which you dream.
At least I know I am relaxing for a short time anyway.
- An erection is caused by a rush of blood to the penis. A man's penis -- especially that of a young man -- can also become erect without any kind of arousing stimulation; this is known as "spontaneous erection.
I guess I am going through this phase again. I am not that young (late thirties), but this is starting to occur again.
- The male testosterone level is at its highest in the early morning during restful sleep, usually built up during the night and at its highest around 4-6 a.m.
I guess that explains those feeling a little better
- Many times it has to do with what you are dreaming about -- males can be aroused in their sleep and have a nocturnal emission (wet dream).
I think we have all figured this one out. LOL
- No, you do not get an erection because you need to pee. The erection and the need to pee are coincidental. Think about it, do you get a hard-on every time you need to pee?
- Morning erections are technically nighttime erections which happen during Rapid Eye Movement (REM) sleep (when most dreaming occurs), although men older than sixty years may have them during even non-REM sleep. Generally, males experience four intervals of REM sleep per night. These spontaneous erections in the wee hours are caused by specific neuroreflexes that are stimulated during REM sleep. Morning erections are the tail end of a series of nighttime erections, as many as five per night that can last for 20-30 minutes each.
I think this helps explain the waking many times a night. In someone who had not experienced this for years, or really ever I gues, it can throw the body for a loop. I know it gets intense for me most nights now. I have not slept straight through a night in months.
- Many people are not aware of the fact that erections do not just serve sexual purposes; they also are a source of increased blood supply to the penis, so the male body will have several erections at night, just to keep the penis healthy.
Again I like that word healthy. Makes me feel better about the whole thing. I guess I am healing more than I thought.
- Waking usually occurs after a session of Rapid Eye Movement (REM) sleep. Just about everyone gets an erection during REM sleep, while you're dreaming. That's why you often wake up from a dream, with a hard-on. Also, there is the phenomenon of the "Pee Horn", where you wake up desperate for a pee, with a hard-on, and then hit yourself in the eye when you go to the bathroom. Everyone gets it.
Not done this yet. Would wake you up though. LOL.
All this sounds about right from what I am starting to experience. I think my body has gone this route in hyper mode though. I do have hope that it will calm at some time. I really like the talk of healthy. I have been so messed up for so long. No wonder this addiction causes or influences erections problems. Those night time erections keep things healthy. I do not know if I really got night time erections for years and years before this. I know they are every night all night now. I will not awaken annoyed anymore. Well maybe I will but I will not feel as bad about it now.
Thought others might want to know this. Hope it is good info. I did not research it in great detail. It is just that the moment I read this all of it sounded right from what I had experienced.