Good day to everyone here on NoFap Forums!
I am a 20 year old male living in Texas. I had been trying to get to 90 days on NoFap (No PMO, to be specific) for about 15 months or so. I have finally made it to 90 days! It certainly was not easy in the slightest. In fact, getting to 90 days was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life so far, especially at the beginning of the 90 days.
Why I Decided On 90 Days:
Many people here on the NoFap forums recommend 90 days in order to “reboot”. A “reboot” in this sense is when you get rid of those unhealthy desires to look at pornography, masturbate and orgasm. However, I must include this: 90 days won’t always work for everyone. You can read NoFap success stories and see video success stories about how some will reach 30 days or 45 days of no PMO and still feel like how I do now, or even better.
There are others out there (including myself) who feel as if 90 days isn’t enough to truly reboot. By that, I mean that in order to experience a lot more benefits and become a healthier man by not watching porn, masturbating or orgasm. Thus, from the beginning, I decided it to be fitting that I should make my goal on NoFap to be for the rest of my life, yet realizing that’d be unrealistic, I settled on 365 days to abstain from PMO. To make this task even more realistic, I settled on this as my specific goal: 90 days, then 180 days, then 270 days and lastly, 365 days. From there, of course, is to be the rest of my life free of PMO.
I recommend setting goals like this: small, incremental periods of time in order to reach your goal in order to make the task of abstaining from PMO a bit less difficult. For example, if you seek to achieve one month free of PMO, aim at first for one day free from PMO, then one week, then two weeks, three weeks and finally one month free of PMO.
The Benefits of 90 Days Without PMO:
- Ability to look people in the eyes without looking away
- Ability to carry out a real conversation with people
- Willpower has increased quite a lot
- Women notice me more and also give me more attention and compliments
- Men also notice me more and are more respectful and complimenting towards me
- No longer feeling indifferent toward so many things in life so often (I care more about my life and seek to better myself)
- Not worried about most things any longer
- It is easier for me to laugh, to be happy and smile
- I started learning Russian online
- I got a new job as a waiter (even though I don’t like it, I’m still there.)
- I’ve also decided what I want to do once I complete my degree in college in the next upcoming months here.
- I go to the gym more frequently
- My eyes appear more glassy and vibrant
- I no longer feel tired after working out, going to work or anything else, really. Essentially, what I mean is that I’m full of energy
- I don’t take things personally as often, nor do I get my feelings hurt over trivial things
- I fall asleep easier and my sleep is better overall. I also have dreams more frequently
- I am eating less unhealthy food and desire even more to eat healthy foods
- My hair grows about 25% or so faster than before, as do my nails
- My facial hair grows faster and the hairs are thicker as well. I used to shave every 3-4 days, now I shave every other day in order to give myself a cleaner appearance
- It’s easier for me to do things that I don’t really like to do
- I am more mindful in taking care of myself
- I am more mindful of how I spend my time, also
- I notice that I sincerely do like girls a lot, I have found that women are more beautiful and I also notice the little things more
- Sharper wit in conversations, as in, saying spontaneous joke replies is much more frequent and I hesitate less to say it
- Although I did not document this precisely, my biceps, shoulders and trapezius and latissimus dorsi muscles have become larger and much more defined. I definitely have the V-shaped upper body now (you know, the type of body that the chicks dig?)
- I feel a bit more creative in my way of thinking, yet still acknowledge that I can be even more creative as I stay on NoFap
- Music sounds better, as in, the songs that I used to listen to before this streak sound even better now that I’m not PMO’ing (check out any song by The Strokes once you get past 90 days if you don’t believe me)
- More helpful to people in every way (very much less reluctant)
- Deeper voice in the sense that, perhaps yes or perhaps not, my voice does sound deeper to me in general (though our voice hardly ever sounds to us as it does to others). Yet, my voice does in fact have much more volume, bass and vibration to it
- I’m not quiet when I speak to people, I make my voice heard and I look them in the eye when I speak (more assertive)
- Even more benefits than what I listed above. Understand that everyone seems to get different benefits at different times, so be happy to anticipate and acquire whatever benefits you receive from no PMO!
So What Helped Me Stay On NoFap For 90 days?:
This certainly wasn’t easy for me to get to 90 days without PMO. The hardest way to get to 90 days is the only way to do it. Here is what I mean:
- Cold showers every single day (I’ve been doing this for about a year or so now). Cold showers help a lot
- Working out frequently
- Reading NoFap forum posts about how to succeed on NoFap
- Watching videos about how to succeed on NoFap
- Keeping myself preoccupied with working out, work, spending time with family and reading in order to get away from urges
- Not giving in to PMO because to PMO would be so much worse than the life I have now
- Toughing it out and soldiering on when I have urges (understand that urges don’t last forever)
What Do You Do When You Get Urges?:
I have found that cold showers help (just standing under the cold water) in the short-term, yet another thing that helps is to go running on the treadmill or some other H.I.I.T. (high-intensity interval training) cardio workout helps a lot to stop those urges for a while. Yet in the end, I don’t know of any way to not have any urges when you’re on this no PMO lifestyle in an attempt to reach 90 days. Urges are as far as I know, inevitable. When you do have urges, though, don’t act on them or entertain them. This all sounds simple, yet it is so very difficult, most of all at the start (the first few days and weeks).
I’m going to leave you with this: when I first started discovering NoFap over a year ago, the first people I found out about were Dr. Gary Wilson (www.yourbrainonporn.com) and Gabe Deem (www.rebootnation.org). One YouTube channel in particular which I have found very helpful as a resource and invite you to look into would be this guy, BecomingAlpha:
BecomingAlpha has lots of useful tips, and he does a very good job at explaining how to succeed at NoFap, esp. in his earliest videos.
Likewise, I feel as though I’ve written enough. I intend to achieve one year of NoFap, so the next step is to reach 180 days. I am going to write a 180 day success story once I reach it.
NoFap is difficult, yet the lifestyle that you will achieve once you reach 90+ days is indescribably better than the lifestyle that you had on PMO.