- Rebooting Basics
- Tools for Change
- Porn FAQs
- ED & Porn
- Gary's Page
Submitted by Gary Wilson on Mon, 11/29/2010 - 10:05
We have produced 5 video series. Our latest is Adolescent Brain Meets Highspeed Internet Porn, delves into the science of sexual conditioning. The Great Porn Experiment (version with German subtitles) which is a more complete version of my TEDx talk. For a general overview of the concepts behind this site, check out Your Brain On Porn: Porn Addiction, a six-part narrated slide show. For porn-induced erectile dysfunction watch Erectile Dysfunction and Porn. For kids, there's a shorter series, which explains the basics: Things You Didn't Know About Porn. All are also available via the blocks to the right.
The videos below will help you understand the brain science of addiction and/or porn addiction.
- Update: Dr. Oz Show addresses porn-induced erectile dysfunction January 31, 2013
- 'Private Matters' TV Interviews Gary Wilson: Max Von Praag interviews Gary on the effects of high-speed Internet porn.
- The Science of Pornography Addiction (SFW) - AsapSCIENCE: 3-minute video. Short and to the point.
- General addiction video series: Anyone dealing with ANY addiction should watch these short (about 3-minute each), very well done videos. They comprise an 8-part YOUTube series on addiction by an M.D. who's a recovering addict. Conversational, easy to listen to, and informative. One can simply substitute "Internet porn" where he says "drugs & alcohol".
- The Demise of Guys?: Philip Zimbardo: Excellent TED talk on (as the title says) the demise of young men. Zimbardo speaks of excessive Internet use (porn and video games) as "arousal addiction.
- Great TEDx talk - The pleasure trap: Douglas Lisle at TEDxFremont
- Growing Up With Porn: Huffington Post Live Conversation: 2013 conversation about the effects of today's porn on young people.
- Top researchers explain dopamine: Neuroscientists Nora Volkow and Adam Kepecs explain the role of dopamine in addiction. Dopamine dysregulation is central to all addictions, including porn addiction.
- Excellent video on dopamine and its role in addiction: 17-minute history of dopamine research and explanation of its role in addiction, narrated by English scientist.
- Neurobiologist discusses porn's effects on the brain: The science is solid and well explained. Willaim Struthers, author of a book on porn, drops in a few minor religious references.
- The Young Turks discuss porn-induced ED: A 3 minute "news report" on the survey this study by the Italian Society of Andrology and Sexual Medicine.
- YouTube series on how porn addiction arises in the brain: A six-part series by Gordon S. Bruin M.A. director of InnerGold recovery. An informative presentation, focusing on the limbic system, by someone who treats porn addicts.
- Talk about porn's impact on the brain, by neurosurgeon Donald Hilton MD. It is aimed at parents and children, and focuses on research on hypofrontality and impulse control.
- Dr. Norman Doidge, "The Brain That Changes Itself": Neuroplasticity is behind porn addiction and porn recovery. This 27 minute interview discusses many aspects of neuroplasticity. From 17:00 - 19:15 he discusses Internet Porn. I recommend the entire video.
- Jay Phelan and Terry Burnham on Mean Genes - Authors of one of ourb favorite books
- Brain Evolution and the Digital Revolution: How Using Technology Affects Kids' Brain Development. Neuroscientist Jay Geidd's explores how what kids do during the time they spend in the digital world can affect the hard-wiring of their brains.
- Gadget and Internet Addiction! SourceFed (2012)
- Altering sexual preferences in promiscuous rats. Four minute excerpt describing an experiment which altered sexual preferences in male rats. Does this parallel porn users?
- Early Experiments on Pleasure/Reward Center: Six minute video on the famous early experiments on the pleasure/reward centers of the brain. Includes both humans and rats. Really brings to life what is behind all addictions.
- Dopamine is more about anticipation: Dr. Robert Sapolsky: Five-minute section of a longer lecture about "reward" and dopamine. Dopamine rises in anticipation of reward, especially if uncertainty is involved. Searching for porn, clicking are both anticipation and uncertainty in what you will find.
- Internet Porn Simulator: Clip from Southpark. Humorous portrayal of the tolerance phenomenon (escalation) among porn users.
- NoFap in Mainstream Advertising: Short, funny clip advertising an energy patch.
- Self Control: Dan Ariely at TEDxDuke